When choosing an eyelid surgeon, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Experience: The surgeon should have experience in performing eyelid surgeries. You can ask the surgeon how many eyelid surgeries they have performed.
- Training: It’s also important to ask what kind of training they had to learn eyelid surgery. Ideally, the surgeon will have completed a fellowship (like an apprenticeship but for surgeons) in eyelid or oculoplastic surgery. The largest sponsoring organization for these fellowships is called the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS). Dr. Eftekhari completed his fellowship with Dr. Richard Anderson in Salt Lake City, one of the foremost members of ASOPRS who trained many surgeons.
- Qualifications: The surgeon should be board-certified by a recognized medical board, such as the American Board of Ophthalmology.
- Reputation: You should ask the surgeon for references from previous patients. You can also read online reviews of the surgeon. You can also ask you eye doctor or primary care doctor if they would recommend the surgeon you have in mind.
- Fees: The surgeon should provide you with an estimate of the cost of the surgery. You should also ask about the surgeon’s fees for consultations, and how to understand the difference between surgeon fee (the price of the surgery), facility fee (the price to “rent” the operating room), and anesthesia fee (the cost of having an anesthesiologist give you sedation or general anesthesia during surgery).
- Insurance coverage: You should check with your insurance company to see if they cover eyelid surgery. If your insurance does not cover the surgery, you will need to pay for it out of pocket.
Once you have considered these factors, you can start to narrow down your choices. You can ask the surgeon questions about their experience, qualifications, and reputation. You can also read online reviews of the surgeon. Once you have found a surgeon that you are comfortable with, you can schedule a consultation to discuss your options.
Here are some additional tips for choosing an eyelid surgeon:
- Ask for recommendations: You can ask your friends, family, and doctor for recommendations for eyelid surgeons.
- Research online: You can read online reviews of eyelid surgeons to get an idea of their reputation.
- Schedule a consultation: Once you have found a few surgeons that you are interested in, you should schedule a consultation to meet them and discuss your options.
Dr. Eftekhari is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in eyelid surgery after completing a 2-year fellowship in oculoplastic surgery sponsored by ASOPRS. To schedule a consultation, fill out our form below or call 801-685-3398.